Aug 3, 2015

Visiting Raja Ampat

We were sent on a journey to document Raja Ampat, a lesser known island 3 flights away from Singapore. We didn't know what to expect, what and who we would meet. We didn't come prepared for this trip, and the various travel sites that we based our research on didn't render much help. All we knew that it was going to be tough, especially after 5 volcanoes erupted in Indonesia that same week. 

It may sound crazy but I was actually pretty fearful of this trip. Volcano eruptions are no joke. But work is work, and I had to muster every ounce of masculinity in me to pack my bags for it. Despite all the ups and downs, all the struggles we put ourselves through to get there in one piece. If you asked me if I would do it all over again, I would say yes in a heartbeat. 

I fell in love with the people of Raja Ampat, its clear waters and gorgeously serene islands that are little known to tourists. I loved the fact that no one knew much about its beauty, the marine life and coral reefs. I loved how I could see my feet shuffle beneath crystal clear waters. I fell in love with the affection of the children, their warm hugs and bright eyes. 

Sometimes, all we need is to go somewhere to remember where we came from. 
Home is nothing without its people. 

Raja Ampat, you took my breath away. 















Courtesy of Changi Airport and The Smart Local. Thank you for sending me on these trips time and time again. And for giving me so much freedom to document travel as it is. Raw, genuine and unpretentious as travel should be.


No comments: